Flu treatment per Paul Bergner, Director of the North American Institute of Medical Herbalism
1. Fast until the fever passes. Water or lemon water only (plus teas) Fasting induces the secretion of the hormone ghrelin, which is not only febrifuge (fever reducer), but also speeds up healing.
2. The course of influenza is 6-7 days, whether the fever passes on day two or three. Take the full seven days off work, rest in bed as much as possible the first 3-4 days, and then generally rest and recuperate. Light walking perhaps on the later days, but no strenuous exercise.
3. Boneset tincture or tea, along with elderberry, dosed every few hours. If nausea occurs, take smaller doses less frequently.
4. Marshmallow root tea, cooled to room temp or below, dosed as needed with 5-10 drops of lobelia tincture for the dry cough. After the 6-7th day, take another 6-7 days to recuperate fully.
5. 50,000 iu of vitamin D for 4-6 days supports respiratory immunity before the viral infection progresses to bacterial pneumonia.
I've used this protocol for almost 20 years, and if followed, the result is usually mild disease, with no aftermath.